|A classic Japanese dish of Takoyaki Chicken can easily be made at home with five-ingredient Takoyaki or you can say Teriyaki sauce and about 30 minutes of your time.
It will become a favorite weeknight addition to your dinner repertoire that both children and adults will love !
WHAT YOU'LL NEED -
3/4 pound boneless chicken thighs ( may be substituted with chicken breasts or tenderloin )
2 tablespoons sake
4 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons mirin ( sweet sake )
2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
Pinch of grated ginger , add more to taste
1 to 2 teaspoons olive oil for cooking chicken ( may be substituted with canola or other oil )
HOW TO MAKE IT -
1) Poke chicken using a fork to help absorb the flavors of the takoyaki sauce during cooking .
2) Make the takoyaki sauce . In a large bowl , combine sake , soy sauce , mirin , sugar and ginger and mix well .
3) Add chicken to the bowl and marinate the chicken in the takoyaki sauce for 15 minutes in the refrigerator .
4) In a large skillet , heat olive oil over medium - high heat . Place the chicken skin side down into the skillet , cooking the skin of the chicken first , until the skin is browned . Next , flip the chicken over to cook the other side , but reduce the heat to low .
5) Next , pour the takoyaki sauce that was used to marinate the chicken into the skillet . Cover the skillet with a lid and steam cook tha chicken on low heat until done , and the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit and juices run clear .
6) Remove the lid and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly . There is no need to add potato starch to thicken the sauce . Remove the pan from heat .
7) Slice the chicken and serve on a plate . Pour the remaining thickened takoyaki sauce over the chicken .
8) Optional : If you like , garnish the takoyaki chicken with additional grated ginger .